Subscribe to our Newsletter
Tracks & Sports
Track & Field Facility Improvements
Coordination with multiple entities leads to successful school district project
Parkston, SD Improves Track and Field Facilities for 2018-2019 Season
Parkston, SD School District
- Full track and field expansion while maintaining existing football field
- Coordination with owner, architect, contractor
- Unsuitable sub-grade requiring a specific track section based on soil conditions
- New facility with 8-lane track, long jump, triple jump, high jump, shot put, discus and pole vault facilities
- New grandstand with crow’s nest, concession stand and bathrooms
- Drainage improvements within the track
The Parkston, SD School District wanted to upgrade their facilities to replace existing track, field event areas, and grandstand. DGR Engineering (DGR) teamed up with Puetz Corporation to work with the school district on solutions to meet their needs. DGR designed the track and field layout, and Puetz Corp. planned the grandstand portion of the project.
Lack of proper drainage around the track had led to major cracks and the track’s surface was deteriorating. Soil borings indicated highly saturated and frost susceptible soil conditions underneath the track. Based on information from the geotechnical report and discussions with the architect and school district, the track area was subcut 3’ so suitable drainage fill could be brought in to minimize frost/heave and drainage issues. If not addressed, these issues could ultimately lead to shifting and cracking of the new track surface.
Drainage adjacent to the track was improved to enhance runoff and extend the life of the new track. Track lane markings put the finishing touch on the ½” rubberized mat surface placed over 3.5” of asphalt pavement.
The old facility featured an eight-lane track with 36” wide lanes. The old track and grandstands were removed, and lane width was increased to 42”. With this new wider lane width, Parkston School District will be eligible to host regional meets.
New grandstands were installed, along with all new field event facilities. To accommodate the wider lane widths, the track had to be shifted within the site constraints to maintain the existing football field and light poles and to minimize additional costs to the school district.
- Electrical Power
New Water Distribution System
The City’s residents enjoy high quality water that comes to them in a new and reliable distribution system.
Site Development, Utility Improvements
A multi-phase plan for infrastructure projects was developed for the City of Alton.
Health, safety and public welfare were all improved by this project.
DGR engineers helped L&O Power Cooperative improve communications on its electric transmission system using existing transmission lines, fiber and underground fiber line.
Rock Rapids, IA
Treatment Plant & Well Exploration
DGR Engineering worked closely with OCRWS to design a new Water Treatment Plant to target iron and manganese removal from a shallow groundwater source near the site.
Due to concerns with the age and condition of the structures, along with safety clearances to energized equipment and conductors, a project was undertaken to replace the old infrastructure with new underground lines and associated padmount equipment.
Redwood Falls, MN
DGR has performed the planning and design of multiple athletic tracks and sports complexes for several communities in the region. The competition facilities are used by little leaguers up to NAIA college events.
Track renovations include overlaying or replacing existing base pavement and drainage. Most tracks are finished with a striped polyurethane all-weather surface.
Tennis court construction varies between 2 or 4 courts with new fencing and surfacing. The courts are usually a reinforced concrete pavement covered with a multi-layer surface.
Baseball & softball diamond layouts include varying configurations that are fan friendly and maximize the use of available space and allow for proper drainage.
Soccer field complexes vary in layout and sizes to maximize the viewing of the variety of ages and playing abilities.
• Augustana University in Sioux Falls, SD
• Sioux Center, Dordt University
• Northwestern College, Orange City, IA Dordt College in Sioux Center, IA
• Hull, IA High School
• Sioux City, IA High School
• Sioux Center, IA Baseball Field Improvements
• Sioux Center, IA High School Track and Field Improvements
• Sioux Center, IA Soccer Field Improvements
• Sioux Center, IA Tennis Court Improvements
• Orange City, IA Track and Field Improvements
• Rock Rapids, IA Central Lyon Schools Track and Field Improvement
• City of Rock Rapids, IA Soccer Complex
• City of Rock Rapids, IA Baseball and Softball Complex
• Luverne, MN Schools
• Welcome, MN Schools
• Windom, MN Schools Tennis Facilities
• Bridgewater, SD Schools Track and Field
• Parkston, SD Schools Track and Field
• Woonsocket, SD Schools Track and Field
• Wagner, SD Schools Track and Field
• City of Sioux Falls, SD Burnside Park Baseball Fields
• Crooks, SD Field Improvements (volunteer)